- Introduction to Akiva
- Headteacher's welcome
- Quotes from Akiva Parents
- Quotes from Akiva Children
- Who's Who
- Teaching Staff
- Support Staff
- School Council
- Governing Body
- School Ethos
- Inspection reports
- Quotes from Ofsted about Akiva
- Quotes from Pikuach about Akiva
- Statutory Information
- School Policies
- Parent Info
- Staff Vacancies
WHO WE ARE
Akiva is the only Progressive Jewish primary school in the UK. We are an inclusive learning community, teaching our children to be happy, confident, responsible and knowledgeable Jewish citizens and active participants in the wider community.
We model a Judaism that is egalitarian and creative, with joyful song and difficult questions. Our Judaism reflects that of our stakeholder communities who founded the school and continue to guide our Jewish life
Successful learning is an active partnership between children, their parents and teachers. At Akiva:
- We see each child as an individual and provide a broad and dynamic Jewish and secular curriculum reflecting their needs.
- We expect the highest standards of learning and teaching.
- We provide a secure, nurturing and stimulating environment.
- We work together to understand and realise each child’s full potential.
- We embed Jewish Studies throughout the curriculum, enhancing a positive, confident, Jewish identity.
- We teach our children to value being active participants in the wider community.
- We prepare our children to meet the challenges of a changing world.
- We teach our children to value all members of the school community and treat each other with kindness.
For more information on our school ethos, click here.
Akiva is committed to serving its community. We recognise the multi-cultural, multi-faith and ever-changing nature of the United Kingdom. We understand the vital role that we have in ensuring that groups and individuals in the school are not subjected to intimidation or radicalisation by those wishing to unduly or illegally, influence them.
We follow equal opportunities guidance which guarantees that there will be no discrimination against any individual or group, regardless of faith, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, political or financial status, or similar. We are dedicated to preparing Akiva children for their adult life beyond the formal, examined curriculum and ensuring that we promote and reinforce British Values to all our pupils. For more information click here
ABOUT RABBI AKIVA
Akiva School takes its name from the 2nd century scholar Rabbi Akiva and our ethos reflects his philosophy and teachings which include humility, kindness, love of Torah, caring, loyalty and forgiveness. Rabbi Akiva said: ‘“You shall love your neighbour as yourself” This is the great teaching of the Torah’. Our pupils reflect the ethos of the school through a love of, pride and confidence in all aspects of their Judaism. This is expressed through interpersonal relationships; regard for each other, the school community and wider society. They are able to embrace the values of Progressive Judaism, its centrality being egalitarianism and inclusivity. They are active, young responsible citizens; embracing the true meaning of Tikkun Olam (‘Repairing the World’) and Sh’mira Hateva (‘Caring for Our world’).
Learn more about Rabbi Akiva (Wikipedia link).